System bus interface

Gerhard

System bus interface

Post by Gerhard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:01 am

Hi

The S3C2440 board has a system bus interface (CON5). It sounds interesting:)

1.) Is this system bus a standard AT-bus?
2.) What is the speed fo the system bus?
3.) Does anybody know any extension boards e.g. for driving further IOs, CPLD connection or prototyping?
4.) Does anybody know information about the timing and arbitration of the bus?

Thanky for your help and best regards

Gerhard

buserror

Re: System bus interface

Post by buserror » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:13 am

The system bus is a normal peripheral interface bus; the problem with the mini is that there is no clock on that connector. They didn't put it to prevent broadcasting RF with a naked pin, however, it makes interfacing with it cumbersome, as you have to re-synthetize the clock using the read & write strobes. Also the way the s3c interfaces with the bus is to light up both RD and WR for a read, so it makes the logic a bit awkward in the VHDL.
I did a proto board with a CPLD that was talking to the bus, but it was not practical ih the end since I had to run a clock at 133mhz to re-sample the read/write strobes.

However, I'm no expert hardware guy, someone might find a leaner solution...

Oh, the timings are all described in details in the s3c2440 datasheet, and the mini2440 schematic will show you how to hook uo to the bus, as the d9k ethernet IC sits on it..

If you find anything of interest, so share ! buserror@gmail.com

Gerhard

Post by Gerhard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:03 am

Hello buserror

Thank you for providing me this information. Before I opened the thread I already had a look at the datasheet and other pdfs but probably not exactly enough:) and i still have not found the related read and write timing diagram.:)

Regarding the bus clock: Hm, I not happy about that. Maybe I find a suitable solution, how to do decoding etc. Then I will let you know.

Thank you again and best regards

Gerhard

esky-sh

Post by esky-sh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:23 am

There is a folder on our ftp server -- /s3c2440/qq20081028cd1/from_Samsung/
You can find more reference documents from Samsung.