Dual boot

Ivanov

Dual boot

Post by Ivanov » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:10 am

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to test my hardware connected to USB on different platforms (WinCE and linux). So I would like to know if there is a way to choose where to boot from: flash or sdcard and what do I have to do for it? Another bootloader etc.?

Just got my mini2440 board on monday and could not test it yet because of the missing US to EU socket adapter - so it is still in a factory state...

Thanks

nicolas

Re: Dual boot

Post by nicolas » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:52 am

If you want to dual boot wince and linux. As far as I know there is no solution right now.
You would need custom wince/linux images and somehow put them together to make them 1 then program the unit. Then via the vivi bootloader you would manually tell it where to start running from.
Again, the images would probably need to be modified as Im assuming that when the images are made they themselves assume to be running from certain memory space - but i could be wrong.

A simple test is to flash an image to a slightly different address and try to boot it from there.

As for booting from SD, you need a bootloader capable of doing that.
I beleive there are solutions for both WinCE and Linux, I dont know the exact nature, but if you google it Im sure you will find the answer.

vcelak

Re: Dual boot

Post by vcelak » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:43 am

I thing, this may be possible, if you have flashed resident version of wince and from wince bootloaded linux image - i use this on my htc smartphone (HTC Kaiser/TyTn2) with wince6.5 to boot android.

On Page http://www.androidonhtc.com/kaiser/install you may finf some additional info and howto's...