Flashing issues with VIVI and Windows tool

sweer001

Flashing issues with VIVI and Windows tool

Post by sweer001 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:31 pm

I am posting few issues that i found when flashing.

Here comes another problem.

1.) I used the VIVI tool to flash the "root_default.img" follwoing the user guide steps. Kernel is complaining about bad blocks.

2.) How can i flash the "root_qtopia_tp.img"? because the image is larger than the partition size when "x" is used to create the partiotions from VIVI. I guess my board came with this, because Qtopia was running when i first used it.

3.) I was able to flash the "root_qtopia_mouse.img" because it is little smaller. However, the kernal is complaining about bad blocks and qtopia is not starting. (I have pasted the serial output below).

Appreciate any help.

sweer001

Re: Flashing issues with VIVI and Windows tool

Post by sweer001 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Actually all the problems were caused by VISTA. I installed Windows 2000 and now everything is working fine.

Does anybody use DNW tool with XP? I am hoping to upgrade my PC to XP. Better to know before upgrading.

esky-sh

Post by esky-sh » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:10 am

Hi,

Please go ahead to upgrade your PC to Windows XP, since I always use DNW tool under Windows XP to flash S3C22440 board. I will check with this VISTA issue for DNW tool.

Thanks for broadcasting us. :)

Van Der Hinferm

Post by Van Der Hinferm » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:30 am

I'm using DNW under XP installed in VirtualBox under Linux with no problems, using serial xmodem with minicom under linux give me a lot of bad blocks, however the kernel was passed several times without problems.

eldruin

Post by eldruin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:58 am

The DNW source is in the "Docs from Samsung website" so, should it be possible to port DNW to Linux?
I can't do it by the moment because I haven't enough Linux knowledge but I could help programming to anyone who tried to do it.

Van Der Hinferm

Post by Van Der Hinferm » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:30 am

I think the key is have enought knowledge of USB programming and then try to port to linux. Unfortunately I don't know so much about USB.

eldruin

Post by eldruin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Yeah, having the code for windows is mainly a libusb knowledgement problem (and also needs an interface). Maybe I have a try when I have more time. By the way I've had a look at the main code and there is no single copyright notice on it (just one file has the programmer name) (There is no even readme indeed). Is it free domain or what?
I've found a simple program that claims to be the same as DNW but in linux: http://www.pragmatux.net/viewtopic.php?p=2545
But it just sends the file through serial interface so I think it's the same as sending with minicom. Anyway, I'll have a look at it when I have more time.