RAM upgrade

Ivanov

RAM upgrade

Post by Ivanov » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 am

I thought about upgrading the RAM by replacing it with the bigger one on the board. What has to be considered in that case? Does the WinCE bootloader automatically detect the correct RAM size?

esky-sh

Re: RAM upgrade

Post by esky-sh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:46 pm

you need to re-write the boot loader for the new SDRAM chip

Al348

Post by Al348 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:46 pm

I can't create new thread, so I'll ask my question here.
There is shown in mini2440 hardware specs that it has 64 Mb RAM.
But WinCE shows that there's only 30 Mb RAM.
Does it mean that OS utilizes 34 Mb of RAM from 64 Mb? Or it means that the OS is configured wrong and doesn't see all available RAM size?

Ivanov

Post by Ivanov » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:51 am

Back to my question... :)

Is it right that the RAM initialization is done in the first step bootloader? Nboot?

Help me understand the system architecture for WinCE.

- s3c2440 on start loads some code into "Steppingstone" buffer. Is this nboot? It inits the ports, uart and lcd. RAM as well?
- nboot loads the second stage bootloader - eboot which loads the kernel and drivers. maybe more inits, too.
- wince kernel does the rest using the WinCe image.

which role does play super-vivi in this chain? Is it only used in the NOR Flash for updating the NAND Flash?

Thanks in advance.

esky-sh

Post by esky-sh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Is it right that the RAM initialization is done in the first step bootloader? Nboot?
/////////////yes.

Help me understand the system architecture for WinCE.

- s3c2440 on start loads some code into "Steppingstone" buffer. Is this nboot? It inits the ports, uart and lcd. RAM as well?
/////////////yes
- nboot loads the second stage bootloader - eboot which loads the kernel and drivers. maybe more inits, too.
/////////////no, nboot load wince image directly.
- wince kernel does the rest using the WinCe image.
////////////yes.

which role does play super-vivi in this chain? Is it only used in the NOR Flash for updating the NAND Flash?
////////////super-vivi can load wince image just like nboot did. But he will do jusk like you said, if you install nboot in your nand flash.

Ivanov

Post by Ivanov » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks for the clarification!

However steppingstone buffer with 4kB is not big enough to hold the super-vivi bootloader. So it means it's loaded by nboot?

esky-sh

Post by esky-sh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:15 pm

super-vivi is a revised version from MIZI vivi, you can have a look into vivi code to understand how it worked --
the first 4kB image of vivi would be loaded into Samsung stepstone at early stage of s3c2440 booting. and then it will initialize SDRAM etc and copy the rest image of vivi into SDRAM and then jump into SDRAM to run.